Our expert medical malpractice solicitors advise and represent those who have been injured by medical malpractice in Ireland. From our years of experience and education, we are able to competently evaluate medical malpractice claims for victims and their families. We provide a sophisticated initial advice service for any type of medical injury. This service is free of charge. Often a short call to talk about your case can go a long way towards putting your mind at ease for what is generally a highly emotional situation.
Talk to us now, by calling our free phone line on 1800 989 850 or fill in our call back form on the left and we will call you back at a convenient time.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical professionals sometimes make mistakes, and they must be held accountable for any harm they cause as a result of their errors, just like any other professional would be. Some common examples of situations that may involve medical malpractice include:
– Failure to diagnose an illness, or improper diagnosis
– Failure to treat an illness or incorrect treatment of an illness
– Improper administration of medication or anaesthesia
– Failure to order tests or to interpret results correctly
– Failure to consult with a specialist
– Birth injury or birth trauma
– Surgical procedures that are unnecessary, or done without consent.
How difficult is it to prove Medical Malpractice?
To prove medical malpractice, it must be shown that a patient receive a poor standard of service from a medical practitioner which, through the medical practitioner´s negligence, caused a loss, an injury or the avoidable deterioration of an existing condition. Proof of causation must come from qualified senior medical experts. Although difficult to prove, with our vast experience we are able to carefully screen all medical related cases.
If you or a loved one have suffered as a result of what you believe was medical malpractice, then talk to us now, by calling our free phone line, or filling in our call back form.
- 100% Speak to a specialist medical malpractice solicitor
- 100% Free advice without obligation
- 100% Provide a practical listening ear
- 100% Helpful and courteous at all times
- 100% Impartial & accurate advice
- 100% No pressure
- 100% No legal jargon
What can I expect?
When you call us you will be put through to one of our experienced team of legal advisors who will listen to you as you tell us about your incident in complete confidence.
Often, we can tell you during the initial telephone conversation if you have a claim for medical malpractice in Ireland which should be investigated further.
We would then write to all the professionals involved to obtain their notes from the procedure you have undergone and have them reviewed by an independent medical specialist.
If the specialist believes that “at the time and in the circumstances” an alternative course of action should have been followed, and that you injury could have been avoided, we will explain the procedures for taking legal action to recover compensation for medical malpractice.
Medical Malpractice Awards
After establishing the extent of your injury and the impact it has had on your quality of life, we should be able to tell you the general level of compensation for your medical malpractice claim. No two claims for medical malpractice in Ireland are identical – even if the same injury due to negligence has occurred to somebody you know – and therefore you should also have your medical malpractice claim assessed by an experienced solicitor.
The State Claims Agency statistics show that the average medical malpractice award in Ireland is currently €63,000, but depending on the severity of the case, settlements can be far higher, for example:
1. John McNeive of Mayo, received a settlement of €102,000 and an apology after a two-year delay in the diagnosing of his cancer. The settlement made by the HSE was for the mental stress to the family.
2. Emma Dempsey had permanent shoulder injuries suffered from her birth, causing her to have limited function in her right arm and shoulder. The claim was taken against the National Maternity Hospital and a consultant obstetrician. Although they did not accept liability in this case, a settlement of €500,000, was approved by the High Court.
Further examples of compensation settlements for medical malpractice claims in Ireland can be found on our news pages or you can talk to us now, by calling our free phone line on 1800 989 850. Alternatively, fill in our call back form below and we will call you back at a convenient time.